Since 1977, riverSedge has published the very best art and literature from the South Texas region and beyond. Past artists and authors include Barry Deutsch, Eleanor L. Bennett, Larry McMurtry, Rolando Hinojosa, Angela de Hoyos, Alurista, Naomi Shihab Nye, and Sandra Cisneros.
riverSedge is published annually. Electronic submissions only. If your work appears in our latest issue, please wait a year before submitting again.
riverSedge 2019 General Submissions/Contest Guidelines
All submissions (except reviews, interviews, and Remolinos) are eligible for contest prizes in three categories: Poetry, Prose, and Art. Here are the full guidelines:
- $5 submission fee for all genres (except reviews, interviews, and Remolinos).
- 3 prizes of $200 will be awarded in poetry, prose, and art. All entries are eligible for contest prizes (except reviews, interviews, and Remolinos). Dramatic scripts and graphic literature will be judged as prose.
- Multiple submissions welcome in all genres. However, each submission should be uploaded as a separate entry. In other words, one story/essay/art piece/comic/script per $5 entry fee. For poetry, three poems per entry. For specific guidelines, visit the categories below.
- Previously unpublished work only. Self-published written work (in print and/or on the web) is not eligible. Visual artwork that has been uploaded to an artist's personal website will be considered, but at the discretion of riverSedge.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome. If your work is accepted elsewhere, please withdraw your submission as soon as possible.
- Submissions in, between, and/or beyond English and Spanish are welcome.
- Current staff, faculty, and students of the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley or South Texas College cannot submit original work to riverSedge. Students, staff, and faculty of these institutions should look to Remolinos for publishing opportunities.
- Deadline is March 1, 2019.
We thank you for your support.
LEGALESE: This form is for readers within the US only. All prices include shipping/handling fees. For orders outside of the US, please email us at riversedge[at]utrgv[dot]edu.