riverSedge is published annually. Electronic submissions only. If your work appears in our latest issue, please wait a year before submitting again.
riverSedge 2018 General Submissions/Contest Guidelines
All submissions (except reviews, interviews, and Remolinos) will be eligible for contest prizes in three categories: Poetry, Prose, and Art. Here are the full guidelines:
- $5 submission fee for all genres (except reviews, interviews, and Remolinos)
- 3 prizes of $200 will be awarded in poetry, prose, and art. All entries are eligible for contest prizes. Dramatic scripts and graphic literature will be judged as prose.
- Multiple submissions welcome in all genres. However, each submission should be uploaded as a separate entry. In other words, one story/essay/art piece/comic/script per $5 entry fee. For poetry, three poems per entry. For specific guidelines, visit the categories below.
- Previously unpublished work only. Self-published work (in print and/or on the web) is not eligible.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome. If your work is accepted elsewhere, please withdraw your submission as soon as possible.
- Submissions in, between, and/or beyond English and Spanish are welcome.
- Current staff, faculty, and students affiliated with the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley or South Texas College are not eligible to submit original work to riverSedge. Students, staff, and faculty of these institutions should look to Remolinos for publishing opportunities.
- Deadline is March 1, 2018.
Remolinos: the Official Blog of riverSedge is now accepting submissions. We are looking for just about anything that is related to writing and art from the South Texas region and beyond, such as book/art reviews; feature articles of literary/artistic events; short poems and prose; book spine poetry; artwork; interviews; and writing prompts. We’re open to other ideas as well, so feel free to pitch them to us. While submissions are open to anyone, students of the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley and South Texas College are especially encouraged to send us their work.
Submissions to Remolinos are free of charge. If you’d like to submit content for consideration, please follow the guidelines below:
- Submissions should be literary in nature. We encourage innovative and hybrid representations of any of the material listed above. Hate speech, bigotry, and other forms of ignorance will not be published.
- Previously published content will not be considered. This includes content published on your personal blog, social media, or website.
- Each post requires an image, so please be sure to include an image you have permission to use. If the image is not your own, please indicate where the image comes from (url link, for example).
- Unless solicited, please submit once every two months.
REVIEWS and FEATURES: We prefer reviews between 300-500 words. Event features should include a description of the event, images, featured reader/s or artist/s, attendees, etc.
PROSE: We prefer prose between 500-700 words. Essays should be 400-1000 words in length and can be about anything related to literature and art.
POETRY: Up to 3 poems per submission. No long poems (if you’re not sure what we mean by that, just send your poem/s in. We’ll let you know if your work meets our criteria.). For book spine poetry, see art guidelines below.
ART: One image per submission. Images should be at least 600 x 400 pixels, 300 dpi, and in JPEG or JPG formats.
INTERVIEWS: We prefer interviews between 1300-2000 words.
WRITING PROMPTS: Send 5-8 original writing prompts per submission. One or all may be used.
We thank you for your support.
LEGALESE: This form is for readers within the US only. All prices include shipping/handling fees. For orders outside of the US, please email us at riversedge[at]utrgv[dot]edu.