Since 1977, riverSedge has published the very best art and literature from the South Texas region and beyond. Past artists and authors include Barry Deutsch, Eleanor L. Bennett, Larry McMurtry, Rolando Hinojosa, Angela de Hoyos, Alurista, Naomi Shihab Nye, and Sandra Cisneros.
riverSedge is published annually and is now an online-only format, beginning with the 2020 issue . Electronic submissions only. If your work appears in our latest issue, please wait a year before submitting again.
riverSedge 2023 General Submissions/Contest Guidelines All submissions are eligible for contest prizes in two categories: Poetry and Prose. Here are the full guidelines:
- Deadline for submissions extended to March 15, 2023.
- $3 submission fee for all genres.
- 2 prizes of $350 will be awarded in poetry and prose. All entries are eligible for contest prizes (except reviews, interviews, and graphic literature).
- Multiple submissions welcome in all genres. However, each submission should be uploaded as a separate entry. In other words, one story/essay/comic/script per $3 entry fee. For poetry, up to five poems per entry. For specific guidelines, visit the categories below.
- Previously unpublished work only. Self-published written work (in print and/or on the web) is not eligible.
- Simultaneous submissions are welcome. If your work is accepted elsewhere, please withdraw your submission as soon as possible in its entirety or send us a message if it's only a specific poem.
- Submissions welcome in English, Spanish and anything in between.
- Current staff, faculty, and students of the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley or South Texas College cannot submit original work to riverSedge.
We thank you for your support.
LEGALESE: This form is for readers within the US only. All prices include shipping/handling fees. For orders outside of the US, please email us at riversedge[at]utrgv[dot]edu.